5.7.2 Funeral Arrangement Checklist
Please call the funeral home of your choice as soon as possible to set up an appointment.
Information That May be Required by the Funeral Home
- Necessary information regarding the deceased person:
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Social insurance number
- Health card number
- Names and birthplaces of parents
- Do you own a cemetery plot?
- In which cemetery?
- Do you wish burial or cremation?
- Call all family and friends in and outside of the city (you may wish to make a list and check them off one at a time).
- Sit down as a family and decide:
- What financial resources are available (bank accounts, insurance, pensions, etc.)
- Approximate day and time you would like to hold the funeral
- Person you wish to conduct the funeral service
- Names of pallbearers, as appropriate
- Prepare information for newspaper notice. (Note: Your local newspaper may need the notice in by a certain time in order for it to be published the next day. The funeral home will usually contact the newspaper for details regarding Monday publications.)
- Names of parents
- Names of siblings
- Names of grandparents
- Names of others
- What were your child’s interests or hobbies?
- Other information you wish to include
- If you wish memorial donations, to which charities?
Appointment with the Funeral Director
When you go to the appointment, please bring with you:
- The information listed above, child’s Birth Certificate, and child’s social insurance card (if applicable)
- All clothing
- A recent photograph (if available)
The Funeral Director may:
- Contact the clergy of your choice and confirm the day and time for the service (if you haven’t done so already)
- Assist you with arrangements for cemetery plot(s)
- Make arrangements for a newspaper notice
- Provide you with copies of “Statement of Death” for insurance purposes, etc.
Disclaimer: Source Accuracy
You are welcome to download and save a local copy of this document in the Word and/or PDF formats provided. As the POGO Satellite Manual is subject to ongoing revisions and updates by POGO, we recommend you regularly check the online version posted at https://www.pogo.ca/satellite-manual/ to ensure you have the most up-to-date content. In the event of any inconsistency between the content of a local copy and the online version of the POGO Satellite Manual, the content of the online version shall be considered correct. Please see also the POGO Satellite Manual Disclaimer.
Record of Updates
|Version Number||Date of Effect||Summary of Revisions|
|1||10/5/2021||Original version posted.|