2.2.2 Children Eligible for the Management of Complications in a POGO Satellite Clinic
Download Word version
Download PDF version
Eligibility criteria for the management of complications in a POGO Satellite Clinic include:
- Any pediatric oncology patient is eligible for initial management of complications of their cancer treatment in a POGO Satellite Clinic, with the following caveats:
- Patients at high risk of serious infection (acute myeloid leukemia [AML] patients, post-allogeneic transplant patients) may receive initial assessment/antibiotics and stabilization at their POGO Satellite Clinic, but should then be transferred to the referring specialized childhood cancer program.
- There should be no limit imposed by age, but early consultation between the specialized childhood cancer program and the POGO Satellite Clinic on children aged less than two years is mandatory.
- Certain patient populations should generally have their complications of therapy managed in a specialized childhood cancer program; however, they may be candidates for initial assessment and treatment at a POGO Satellite Clinic for issues such as fever and neutropenia prior to transfer. Milder complications of therapy may be managed at a POGO Satellite Clinic in consultation with the specialized childhood cancer program. These populations include:
- Patients on high-intensity protocols, including but not limited to AML and Burkitt lymphoma.
- Patients post-stem cell transplant and prior to immune reconstitution.
Disclaimer: Source Accuracy
You are welcome to download and save a local copy of this document in the Word and/or PDF formats provided. As the POGO Satellite Manual is subject to ongoing revisions and updates by POGO, we recommend you regularly check the online version posted at https://www.pogo.ca/satellite-manual/ to ensure you have the most up-to-date content. In the event of any inconsistency between the content of a local copy and the online version of the POGO Satellite Manual, the content of the online version shall be considered correct. Please see also the POGO Satellite Manual Disclaimer.
Record of Updates
|Version Number||Date of Effect||Summary of Revisions|
|1||8/19/2022||Original version posted.|