3.7.1 Rapid Hydration
Rapid hydration may be used at the discretion of the POGO Satellite Clinic physician/Nurse Practitioner for doses of cyclophosphamide ≥500 mg/m2.
- Patients less than twelve months of age
- Patients with a history of severe renal, cardiac or pulmonary impairment
- Patients without central venous access
For cyclophosphamide ≥500 mg/m2:
- Administer 0.9% NaCl 750 mL/m2 IV over one hour.*
- Proceed with chemotherapy once urine specific gravity (SG) is 1.010 or less.
- If urine SG is greater than 1.010 post bolus then immediately give second bolus of 300 mL/m2 over 30 minutes. Proceed to chemotherapy if urine specific gravity is 1.010 or less post second bolus.
- If urine parameters are still not met, discuss with POGO Satellite Clinic MD/NP caring for patient.
*If hourly rate exceeds 999mL/hr, infuse entire volume at 1000 mL/hr until infusion is complete.
Primary author Ms. Denise Reniers, Children’s Hospital, London Health Sciences Centre, London with input from Ms. Tracey Taylor, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Mr. John Wiernikowski, McMaster Children’s Hospital, Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Dr. Arif Manji, Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket and Ms. Kirsty Morelli, Scarborough and Rouge Hospital, Scarborough. Reviewed by the POGO Satellite Manual Pharmacy Working Group, 2016.
Disclaimer: Source Accuracy
You are welcome to download and save a local copy of this document in the Word and/or PDF formats provided. As the POGO Satellite Manual is subject to ongoing revisions and updates by POGO, we recommend you regularly check the online version posted at https://www.pogo.ca/satellite-manual/ to ensure you have the most up-to-date content. In the event of any inconsistency between the content of a local copy and the online version of the POGO Satellite Manual, the content of the online version shall be considered correct. Please see also the POGO Satellite Manual Disclaimer.
Record of Updates
|Version Number||Date of Effect||Summary of Revisions|
|1||June 30, 2022||Original version posted.|