5.6.2 Funeral arrangement checklist
Please call the funeral home of your choice as soon as possible to set up an appointment.
INFORMATION WHICH MAY BE REQUIRED BY THE FUNERAL HOME:
- Necessary information regarding the deceased person:
Date of Birth _________________________________________________________________
Place of Birth _________________________________________________________________
Social Insurance # ____________________________________________________________
Health Card # _________________________________________________________________
Names & birthplaces of both parents
- Do you own a cemetery plot?
In which cemetery? ____________________________________________________________
Do you wish burial or cremation? _____________________________________________
- Call all family and friends in and outside of the city (you may wish to make a list and check them off one at a time).
- Sit down as a family and decide:
What financial resources are available (bank accounts, insurance, pensions, etc.)
Approximate day and time you would like to hold the funeral
Person you wish to conduct the funeral service
Names of pallbearers as appropriate:
1. __________________________________ 4. _________________________________
2. __________________________________ 5. _________________________________
3. __________________________________ 6. _________________________________
- Prepare information for newspaper notice:
(Note: Your local newspaper may need the notice in by a certain time in order for it to be published the next day. The funeral home will usually contact the newspaper for details regarding Monday’s publication).
Names of Parents
Names of Brothers & Sisters
Names of Maternal Grandparents
Names of Paternal Grandparents________________________________________
What were your child’s interests or hobbies?
Other information you wish to include:
If you wish memorial donations, to which charities?_____________________________________________________________________________
Appointment with the Funeral Director:
When you go to the appointment, please bring with you:
- The information contained in this pamphlet, Birth Certificate, and Social Insurance card (if applicable).
- All clothing.
- A recent photograph (if available).
The Funeral Director may:
- Contact the clergy of your choice and confirm the day and time for the service (if you haven’t already).
- Assist you with arrangements for cemetery plot(s).
- Make arrangements for a newspaper notice
- Provide you with copies of “Statement of Death” for insurance purposes, etc.
Click here to print this page.
Primary authors Dr. Lenna Morgan, Windsor Regional Hospital, Windsor and Ms. Leslie Price, Windsor Regional Hospital, Windsor. Reviewed by the POGO Satellite Manual Palliative Care Working Group, 2016.