2.1 Principles of Satellite Care
The principles of the POGO Provincial Pediatric Oncology Satellite Program include:
- Assessment, stabilization and (where appropriate) management of an ill child previously diagnosed with malignant disease, including the treatment of therapy complications and the delivery of selected chemotherapeutic agents, will occur in accordance with protocols and formal guidelines. All other aspects of the care of eligible children will occur in the tertiary hospital (specialized childhood cancer program) context only.
- Treatment of children according to protocols. Protocol assignment, as determined by the specialized childhood cancer program and its affiliations with collaborative cancer study groups, must be respected and any local constraints overcome. For patients on study, the drugs are to be given under the aegis of the specialized childhood cancer program and the relevant Research Ethics Board (REB).
- POGO Satellite Clinic activity (e.g., inpatient pediatric, ambulatory and emergency care) must be closely integrated and carried out or supervised by designated, prepared pediatric staff with an identified lead physician and designated alternative physician(s). Such alternative individual(s) must have appropriate training.
- Availability of accessible, acceptable local emergency care is mandatory.
- Availability of Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses (APHON)-certified nurses, who have completed the Pediatric Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Provider Program, to administer chemotherapy agents.
- Care must be delivered according to specific guidance documents (see Section 3.0 Chemotherapy Administration).
Disclaimer: Source Accuracy
You are welcome to download and save a local copy of this document in the Word and/or PDF formats provided. As the POGO Satellite Manual is subject to ongoing revisions and updates by POGO, we recommend you regularly check the online version posted at https://www.pogo.ca/satellite-manual/ to ensure you have the most up-to-date content. In the event of any inconsistency between the content of a local copy and the online version of the POGO Satellite Manual, the content of the online version shall be considered correct. Please see also the POGO Satellite Manual Disclaimer.
Record of Updates
|Version Number||Date of Effect||Summary of Revisions|
|1||7/13/2021||Original version posted.|