About the S2S Network
POGO is committed to supporting childhood cancer survivors and brain tumour survivors beyond diagnosis and treatment. We also recognize survivors as the experts in their journey. Designed for survivors aged 16 and over, our Survivor to Survivor (S2S) Network is a special series of interactive workshops where survivor facilitators present helpful information, lead discussions and share personal experiences about a variety of survivorship topics.
- Learn: Discover resources and tools to help you achieve your personal, educational and career goals
- Connect: Meet fellow childhood cancer survivors and brain tumour survivors
- Empower: Educate each other as the experts in your personal survivorship journeys!
We encourage you to register for one of the workshops in your area or contact us for more information. You may also wish to check out these inspiring video testimonials in which our 2018 S2S Network team members talk about their personal experiences and discuss the value of the S2S Network for survivors. Please sign up for The POGO School and Work Transitions Program eNews and follow POGO on our social media @POGO4Kids for announcements about new, upcoming workshops!
Registration is limited to childhood cancer and brain tumour survivors ONLY, aged 16 years and older.
- Discovering the mind/body connection.
- Understanding and bringing awareness to feelings
- Being mindful of how we talk to ourselves.
- How to start meditating.
Meditation and Mindfulness Resource List
- What Does Mindfulness Meditation Do to Your Brain? Scientific American
- Five Ways Mindfulness Mediation is Good for Your Health. Greater Good Magazine
- When, how much, and what to disclose: the pros and cons of disclosure.
- Who to talk to for support and information.
- Your legal rights.
- Disclosure as a part of independence and self-advocacy.
Will they Understand: The Personal Disclosure Dilemma at School and Work Resource List
- Accommodation Search (askjan.org)
- Canadian Human Rights Commission: What is the Duty to Accommodate?
- Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario: Disclosure in the Workplace
- Ontario Human Rights Commission: Confidentiality and Disclosure at School
- When to Disclose? Seven options
- Pathways to college
- Planning for your college education
- Accommodations/accessibility services at school
- College programs for people with disabilities.
Is College Your Path? How to Get on It and What to Expect Resource List
- Mohawk College
- Ontario Colleges
- Georgian College
- Government of Canada – Canadian Student Grant for Full-Time Students
- Childhood Cancer Canada
- Emily Duff Scholarship
- Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada – Youth Education Awards
- Alberta Specific Resource: Kids Cancer Care – Scholarships
- Alberta Specific Resource: Calgary Foundation – Awards.
- Contact Tracey-Ann Prokipczuk, Outreach and Education Advisor at Mohawk College
- Looking at day-to-day challenges and how this impacts school and work.
- Strategies to manage cognitive impact(s).
- Identifying and connecting with sources of support.
Coping With Cognitive Effects of Childhood Cancer Treatment Resource List
- Chemo Brain – Mayo Clinic
- CHADD – improving the lives of people affected by ADHD
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- Smart But Scattered Teens: The “Executive Skills” Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential
- Organizing from the Inside Out for Teens: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Room, Your Time, and Your Life.
- The Executive Functioning Workbook for Teens: Help for Unprepared, Late, and Scattered Teens
- SOAR Study Skills: A Simple and Efficient System for Earning Better Grades in Less Time
- Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
Meet Our 2021 Team
Diagnosis: Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Age at Diagnosis: 16 years old
What do I want to bring to the S2S Community? I want to be able to help survivors progress to the next stages of their life and overcome any barriers associated with pediatric cancer.
Age at Diagnosis: 4 years old
What do I want to bring to the S2S Community? I want to share my experience of being a brain tumour survivor and making a successful transition from high school to College with the help of POGO.
Age at Diagnosis: 15 years old
What do I want to bring to the S2S Community? Awareness to subjects that may be difficult to discuss. Change, growth, and empowerment stem from education.
Diagnosis: Low-grade Glioma
Age at Diagnosis: 2 years old
What do I want to bring to the S2S Community? I believe that anyone who is provided an opportunity to grow can overcome any illness and pain that they experience.
Diagnosis: Craniopharyngioma (benign brain tumour)
Age at Diagnosis: 11 years old
What do I want to bring to the S2S Community? Any help I can provide from my previous experiences.