If you or someone you care for is a survivor of childhood cancer facing learning difficulties, POGO’s Successful Academic and Vocational Transition Initiative (SAVTI) can help.
Survivors of brain tumours and other childhood cancers can develop learning difficulties resulting from their disease or treatment. This can impact their ability to achieve their educational and career goals.
SAVTI facilitates a smoother transition from high school to appropriate education and employment.
- Provide individual, customized service to young people, focusing on their strengths and skills
- Share various tools and technologies to guide survivors through the career exploration process
- Help survivors identify and implement learning strategies to improve academic or employment success
- Assist survivors with identifying appropriate career options and goals
- Develop a personal education and/or employment plan with survivors
- Link survivors with appropriate services and supports within colleges, universities, or the community
- Assist survivors in applying for admission to college or university and prepare survivors for employment
- Help survivors develop self-advocacy and problem-solving skills
For survivors of childhood cancer who are 16 years or older, SAVTI may be of help. For more information, please contact a SAVTI Counsellor. And, follow SAVTI on POGO’s social media accounts: twitter.com/pogo4kids and Facebook/PediatricOncologyGroupofOntario
SAVTI Provincial Coordinator
416-592-1232 ext. 244
Email Barb Williams
519-685-8500 ext. 52527
Email Lori Otte
|Ottawa & Kingston
613-737-7600 ext. 3495
Email Sarah Brandon
416-592-1232 ext. 255
Email Lucie Legault
Our newsletter is published three times a year and offers the latest information about services for childhood cancer and brain tumour survivors; general event listings; and articles about education, work and survivorship. We also have a Creative Corner column where we invite YOU to submit content, and our once-a-year Survivor Edition is written entirely by survivors! Please visit our SAVTI eNews page to enjoy our newsletter and sign up to receive future editions.
Learn more about supporting youth with learning challenges with these two publications:
SAVTI Childhood Cancer Manual for Educators, Counsellors and Families
SAVTI Neurocognitive Companion Manual for Educators and Counsellors