Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario (POGO) is pleased to offer bursaries to assist students with the cost of attending the 2018 Multi-Disciplinary Symposium on Childhood Cancer and/or Pre-Symposium Nursing Seminar.
Bursaries are available to medical students, medical residents, nursing students and students in the allied health and psychosocial disciplines. The bursary will cover the following costs:
- Registration fee which includes
- attendance at all plenary sessions, choice of two (of four) concurrent workshops.
- participation in networking opportunities
- breakfast, lunch and breaks during the conference
- Accommodation (for non-GTA residents only) at the Westin Prince, Toronto at the preferred rate ($169 per night, 3-night maximum)
- Ground transportation to and from the Symposium (for non-GTA residents only (within the reimbursement guidelines).
Complete the online application
You will be prompted to attach the following three required documents with your application (Word or PDF format):
- Your Curriculum Vitae
- A 200-word summary outlining your interest in the area of pediatric oncology
- A signed letter of endorsement on your school’s letterhead verifying your program of study and including the name, signature and contact information for your Department Head/Supervisor/Registrar
- Application Deadline: Friday, September 21, 2018
- You will be notified of the pre-approved amount of bursary funding available to you no later than Friday, September 28, 2018.
Successful candidates will be expected to attend all sessions and to submit a 500-word summary on the Symposium to POGO within seven days of the conference. This summary should highlight new information learned at the conference, networking opportunities, new ideas for research, etc. Suggestions as to how POGO might, in future, assist students interested in exploring pediatric oncology careers and general comments are also welcome.
Student Reimbursement Maximums Per Category
from train/bus station to venue
|HAMILTON||$175.00||$25.00||2 or 3-night maximum at the Westin Prince Hotel.||$20.00|
|KINGSTON||$175.00||$100.00||2 or 3-night maximum at the Westin Prince Hotel.||$20.00|
|LONDON||$175.00||$100.00||2 or 3-night maximum at the Westin Prince Hotel.||$20.00|
|OTTAWA||$175.00||$110.00||2 or 3-night maximum at the Westin Prince Hotel.||$20.00|
|SUDBURY||$175.00||$330.00||2 or 3-night maximum at the Westin Prince Hotel.||$55.00|
* These expenses are covered upfront by POGO. For all other expenses, you will be reimbursed following the Symposium.
** It is recommended that students taking transportation connecting to Union Station in Toronto take the subway to York Mills Station.
*** Cost of taxi was calculated from York Mills Station to the Westin Prince Hotel. Exception: The cost of taxi for Sudbury was calculated from Billy Bishop Airport.
- These reimbursement guidelines apply only to those who have applied and have been accepted to the POGO Student Bursary Program.
- Accommodations are provided for those travelling from outside Toronto/GTA. Accommodations may need to be shared with other students. All efforts will be made to grant roommate requests.
- A maximum of three nights’ accommodation will be covered at the Westin Prince Hotel for Students attending both the Symposium and the Pre-Symposium Nursing Seminar. For students attending only the Symposium, a maximum of two nights will be covered.
- Transportation maximums have been set according to the cost of economy class ground transportation (Via Rail, GO Bus, etc.) for delegates travelling from outside Toronto/GTA.
- Reimbursement will not be granted for non-economy class tickets. Exception: the transportation maximums for delegates travelling from Sudbury allows for travel via Porter Airlines.
- Delegates choosing to drive may apply the transportation maximum to the cost of mileage. You will be required to submit a map of your route along with any relevant receipts.
- Delegates taking a taxi must keep tips at 10% of the fare.
- In order to receive reimbursement for expenses not covered upfront by POGO, student bursary recipients must fill out a reimbursement form (to be circulated post-Symposium) and submit copies of all relevant original receipts. Reimbursement will not be granted without original receipts.
POGO Contact Information
Questions? Please contact Clara Jordan, Conference & Educational Events Coordinator
Tel: 416-592-1232 x 237 ∞ Email: email@example.com